Pitra Dosh can be described as “forefather’s sin”. You walk to any astrologer and by every chance, the first revelation you get is that you have a Pitra Dosh in your horoscope. Pitra Dosh plays very heavily on the minds. Therefore, we tend to search for Pitra Dosh Upaay or Pitra dosh remedies without understanding what is Pitra Dosh.
Now before I divulge everything about Pitra Dosh, I would like to clarify that it is not that serious a Dosha as it is normally portrayed because of the following reasons:
- Its potency varies from horoscope to horoscope. So do not take that its potency uniformly.
- One may not be suffering because of this Pitra Dosh; the reason could be different.
- Your horoscope may not have this Dosha at all.
- The native has not been prescribed the correct remedial measures.
Let us begin:
What is Pitra Dosh – Significations in Horoscope
The important significations of Sun as described in Uttrakalamrit Sholka 20-1/2 to 22-1/2 are:
- Disease in head
This blemishing of Sun and restraining Him from giving results as a significator is Pitra Dosh.
Reasons of Pitra Dosh
The following planets or their astrological Signs can propel the Sun to impart Pitra Dosha:
- Rahu or its Sign i.e Virgo
- Ketu or it Sign i.e. Pisces
- Saturn or its Sign Capricorn & Aquarius
- Mars or its Sign Scorpio
Anyone or a combination of these planets can blemish the Sun to cause Pitra Dosha. But the strength or potency differs which depends upon Sun’s placements. There are in general three types of Pitra Dosha, and I will discuss starting from the most lethal one:
Types of Pitra Dosh
Most Atrocious – when Pitra Dosh is in 1st Degree – Pitra dosh is formed in 1st Degree if Sun is placed with any of these planets in any Bhav or house. This is the most atrocious of the Dosha.
Intermediate impact – of Pitra Dosh when in 2nd degree – The Pitra Dosh formed if sun is aspected by any or all of the above-mentioned planets falls in 2nd categoty. This is not as fierce as the 1st degree of Pitra Dosha but has an intermediate potency.
Mild Form & Impact – 3rd or a mild form of Pitra Dosh is formed when Sun is placed in an enemy sign or the sign of the negative planets as above.
Now let us come to the effect of Pitra Dosh in a natives life.
Effects of Pitra Dosh
A Pitra Dosh depending upon its strength can cast a shadow on all the positive Yogas of the horoscope and wouldn’t let them blossom.
The problem it poses for the native can be any one or a combination of the following.
- Fear of death
- An Early death of family members especially the males.
- Loss of reputation
- Unexplained constant losses.
These problems which a native faces can be because of the Pitra Dosh and if the losses do not stop, he should be meeting with an astrologer for his guidance. I will now explain why this Dosha deciphers in any Horoscope.
Where does Pitra dosha come from ?
Jyotish or the Indian Vedic astrology connects very heavily with the past life. Your birth in a particular family, your riches, your achievements all these have a link to your previous birth.
Disrespect to elders of the family in the previous lives give rise to this Pitra Dosh and if you are continuing to do so in this life then get ready to multiply its magnitude manifolds.
There is a hidden guide of your misdeed embedded in your horoscope. It secretly tells what wrong you did in your previous life. Read it to know your self:
The Deeds of Past which lead to Pitra Dosh in our present birth reflect in our Horoscope as below.
When Rahu blemishes sun —You broke family traditions and brought disgrace to your family.
If Ketu blemishes the sun — You seldom spoke the truth with your elders and even spoke ill about them.
Sun blemished by Saturn : –You never cared for your elders the way a child should take care of elderly.
If the Mars blemishes sun: You misbehaved with your elders.
This guide will help you to improvise your deeds for this birth and shall make some improvements for your next births.
Pitra Dosh Remedies
Once we know there is Pitra Dosh in the Horoscope & also we know that it cannot be removed. Then we must look for comprehensive explanations on Pitra Dosh remedies. I will describe these remedies in 3 ways with less focus on rituals but more corrections in our own Karmas.
1st Most commonly known
The god has given you a way to repent for your misdeeds. Reasons of Pitra Dosh are our own flawed past deeds so remedies also lie in our Karmas. This is true not only for this but any other Doshas also as per my philosophy.
According to Bharmna Purana, God of death, Yama, liberates all the souls to travel back to the earth in the Krishna Paksha of Ashwin maas. It is your prime duty to show respect to the departed souls by offering Prasad at this time and also by doing some other rituals which depend upon the potency of the Pitra Dosha.This can really negate the negative effect of the Pitra Dosha if it is present in your horoscope. The various Upaays that we can follow are :
- Trapandi Shradh
- The Multi-Pindi Shradh
- By doing the Shradh on the date the family member passed away.
- One can offer water to a Banyan tree.
- You can offer water and Prasad to Pitra on Shradh Paksha
- By offering food to Bhramins on Amavasya
By doing the Shradh on the same tithi in the Shradh paksha, the tithi on which the family member passed away.
For information the Shradh Paksha comes roughly in September every year, check for the Panchang to know about the correct dates.
One thing more, these Upaays or rituals do not work! Yes they do not work unless you Karma correct yourself.
2nd & most important way is self Karma Korrection
Being a karma corrector, it is my prime duty to explain the karma correction not only for this but for any other so called Doshas.
This has to be necessarily followed as your deeds in this birth are going to come up as good or bad Yogas in your horoscope of the next birth.
Well! Even If you do not care about the next birth, these corrections will be benefiting your this life as well.
What you should be doing:
Show respect your family members especially the elderly ones.
- Do not deprive them of the essentials things.
- Spend maximum possible quality time with them.
- They should maintain that quality of life as you are enjoying.
- No strong or hard words for them.
- No abuses for them.
If you are not adhering to this Karma correction, you are yourself scratching the wound of Pitra Dosh deeper and there can be no respite.
Astrological Guidance for Pitra Dosh Remedies
A person with Pitra Dosh in his horoscope has a weak Sun inadvertently in the horoscope shadowed by negative planets. The main Upaays are to strengthen the Sun and weaken the planet which is blemishing it. Don’t worry, I will reveal some astrological rituals that can devoid this Dosha of its sheen. A caution here none of these / rituals shall bear no fruit unless the karma correction is applied on oneself.
- People who have Pitra Dosh in their horoscope should rise early in the morning preferably before the sunrise and should offer water to the rising Sun known as Ardhya. Understand the specific procedure to accomplish this ritual. Get an Ardhya utensil from the market and in it put some fresh water with red sandal, some red flowers, few pieces of rice and a bit of milk and one should stand in front of the rising Sun and offer this mixture to the Sun God. one should recite the following Mantra while doing this ritual:
- Om Grim Suryaya Aditya.
- Person can perform Ratna Abhishekam to get rid of the Pitra Dosh.
- You can visit Gayaji in Bihar (India). People know it as Pitranagri. Many people go here for performing the Pitra Dosh Anushthan.
- Donating food to the setting Sun is also a very potent Upaay for Pitra Dosh.
- By Reciting Surya Gayatri Mantra every day also lessens the effect of Pitra Dosh.
- One can also recite the Surya Tantrik Mantra, Dashakshar Surya Mantra, Aditya Hridya Stotram or Surya Ashtottarshat Namavali to come out of the miseries of Pitra Dosh.
- One can go for Sri Surya Vajra Panjar Kavacham & pray for relief from this Dosh.
Pitra Dosh remedies are many but all cannot & should not be applied simultaneously. Another fact is that there no predefined method which applies to all natives universally. This all depends how how blemish is the Sun in a Horoscope. So one should consult a good Horoscope reader to understand & then only follow any particular ritual or method to pacify not only this but any other Dosha.