Bhai Dooj 2021
Bhai Dooj in 2021
Bhai Dooj is a festival to celebrate the sacred relationship of a brother and a sister. Bhai Dooj or Bhaiya Dooj is also known as Bhai Teeka, Yam Dwitiya, and Bhatru Dwitiya. It is celebrated on the second day of Shukla Paksha of the Kartik Month. This date falls on the second day of Diwali. On this day, sisters apply 'Tilak' on their brother's forehead and pray for their long life, happiness, and prosperity. And in return, brothers gift them with gifts. God of Death, Yamraja, is also worshipped on this day. It is believed that Yamraja came to his sister's house, Yamuna, to have food.
Importance of Bhai Dooj
Dedicated to celebrating the pure relationship of brothers and sisters, Bhai Dooj is a significant festival in Hinduism. This festival's main aim is always to uphold the flow of love and goodwill of brothers and sisters. The relationship between Yamraja and his sister Yamuna is proof that relationships are above everything. Bhai Dooj teaches us that no matter how busy we are in our lives, we should try to make sure that we must take time out for our relatives on special occasions. This is the purpose of celebrating this festival every year.
Why do we celebrate Bhai Dooj?
Dedicated to glorify the relationship between the brothers and sisters, this festival holds the utmost importance in Hinduism. Celebrated on the second day of the Krishna Paksha of the Kartik month, this festival is also known as Yam Dwitiya.
How do we celebrate Bhai Dooj?
There is a unique way to celebrate this festival. Early morning, sisters take a bath and worship Lord Vishnu and Lord Ganesha. After this, they apply Tilak on their brother's forehead. Brothers visit their sister's house and even have food there. They also give them gifts. To take a bath in the Yamuna river and worship on the banks of this river is considered to be very promising.
Rules for celebrating Bhai Dooj
1. According to the scriptures, after two days of Diwali or when the second date comes in the afternoon of Kartik Shukla Paksha, Bhai Dooj is celebrated on that day. If the second date falls on both days, then there is a law to celebrate Bhai Dooj the next day. Apart from this, if the second date does not come on the afternoon of both days, Bhai Dooj should be celebrated the next day. These three views are more popular and valid.
2. According to another opinion, if Pratipada Tithi starts in the midday (the third part of the day) in Kartik Shukla Paksha, then Bhai Dooj should be celebrated. This opinion is not said to be logical.
3. The brother should offer Tilak and food only afternoon on the day of Bhai Dooj. Apart from this, Yama Pujan should also be done afternoon.
Story of Bhai Dooj
There was a king who used to play Chaupar with his brother in law. His brother in law used always to defeat him. The King thought that he wins every time because he celebrates Bhai Dooj every year and his sister's majesty.
He ordered that his brother in law will not celebrate the Bhai Dooj with his sister. He closed all gates and made sure that he cannot get in any way. When Lord Yamraja looked at this, he immediately turned the brother in law into a dog. The dog went inside the palace. The queen recognized that the dog is his brother and applied Tilak on his forehead and rubbed her hand on his head, and the dog left.
After this, the queen's brother went to the King and challenged him to play Chaupar with him again. King was shocked to know that his brother in law met his wife and even celebrated Bhai Dooj with her with Lord Yamraja. After this, the King also went to his sister's house to celebrate Bhai dooj with her. On hearing this, Yama got worried and started thinking that in this way, the existence of Yampuri will end. Seeing his brother worried, his sister Yamuna told him, that brother, you should not worry, give me this boon that people who have a meal with sister today and take a bath at Vishramghat in Mathura city, They do not have to go to Yampuri. They can get free from this bond of life and death. Lord Yamraja granted his sister's wish, and since then, the festival is celebrated by all sisters and brothers.
What to do on Bhai Dooj
1. Sisters should invite brothers to their place and apply Tilak, Chandan, and Roli on their forehead.
2. Sisters should gift their brothers Tambul. It is believed that it signifies the sister's good luck.
3. Brothers should take a bath in the Yamuna river. They get freedom from their Yamdosh.
4. brothers should bring water to their homes from River Yamuna.
5. Sisters should prepare rice kheer. It is a symbol of the long lives of both brothers and sisters.
6. Brothers should give gifts to their sisters on this day.
7. Seek blessings from your elder sister by touching her feet.
8. While applying Tilak on your brother's forehead, make sure he's facing the north direction.
9. Seek blessings from the elderly of the house.
10. Both of them should do Isht ki Pooja.
What to not do on Bhai Dooj
1. Do not eat alone. Make sure you eat the meal with your sister. If you're unable to meet your sister, have food sitting near a cow.
2. Brothers and sisters should not fight on this day.
3. Do not disrespect the food cooked by your sister.
4. Do not disrespect the gift given by the brother.
5. Do not lie to your sister on this day. If you do this, Yamraja will be angry with you.
6. do not eat or drink on this day.
7. brothers and sisters should not eat anything before performing the ceremony.
8. Sisters should cook food for their brothers with full of affection and care.
9. Offer the brother sweets after applying Tilak
10. Do not forget to give the brother a 'gola' as it is considered very sacred.
You can read similar write-up on relevance of astrology in indian festivals for all other major Indian Festivals.