Whenever a person dies, we always pray for the soul of the demised to rest in peace. Why people actually do so? The practice shows that not necessarily all departed souls rest in peace. People with even the smallest of mythological awareness know the existence of triloka i.e. devaloka, patalaloka and prithviloka. On Earth, every soul repays for the karmas done in the past lives. Now, these karmas may be ours or even belong to our forefathers!
As per Hindu scriptures, the karmic debts as accumulated in our innumerable past lives have been carried forward in the present life. Every soul carries the karmic baggage, and the same philosophy also holds true about our ancestors.
There is a widely accepted myth that when our forefathers or pitra curse us we are known to get affected with Pitra Dosha in kundli. Pitra Dosha may bring severe challenges in your life, causing all-round failures and disappointments in life. The concept of Pitra Dosha has been narrated in depth in the Hindu text Brahma Purana where it’s been said that on Amavasya falling in the Krishna paksha of ashwin month, yamraj the lord of death allows all the souls to go on the Earth to accept tarpan from their predecessors. Whosoever on the Earth doesn’t provide for shraadh or trapan is badly cursed by the forefathers known as the pitru dosha. But it’s not the whole story!
Pitra Dosha in reality is a karmic debt of the forefathers. It is believed that whenever our ancestors commit any sin or bad deed, their predecessors have to repay that. The Pitra dosha in kundli can be identified through the malefic combinations of the planets in the birth chart. The debt, though belongs to the ancestors but have to be paid by the native. In simple terms, Pitra dosha is formed in a kundli, when the native’s ancestors have committed some mistake or sin in their lives.
As we say, a child has to bear what his father does. The successors are held responsible for the bad karmas of their forefathers and have to undergo several sufferings.
The formation of Pitra Dosha in a horoscope brings about several challenges and hardships in the native’s life. It creates complete turbulence in the life of the native, and everything happens suddenly in his life. It may give complex diseases, sudden accidents, short span of life, financial instability, etc. to the native. There is a lack of mental peace and decision-making power among the native.
What does Astrology say about the Pitra Dosh?
As per Vedic Astrology, Pitra Dosha or Pitru Dosha is a defect in the birth chart that causes several troubles to the native especially in the late half of his life. However, the presence can be felt at different points of time but the severe results are obtained later in life. Pitra Dosha may occur for the following reasons:
- Bad karmas of the ancestors
- Unfulfilled desires on the deathbed
- The unnatural and untimely death of any ancestor at a young age
Which planet causes Pitra Dosha?
Planets/Houses to form Pitra Dosha are as follows:
SUN- karaka of father and forefathers
MOON- karaka of mother and mind
SATURN- karaka of karmic debts, miseries, and obstacles in life
RAHU/KETU- they show grandparents and our past life incomplete tasks
9th HOUSE- it shows past life as well as forefathers
2nd HOUSE- it shows the immediate family of the native
How Pitra dosha is formed in a kundli?
Pitra dosha is formed if,
- The 9th house or its lord is affected by nodes.
- If Sun and/or Jupiter are affected with Rahu or Ketu.
- The conjunction of the Sun and Rahu or Sun and Saturn in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th 9th and the 10th house of the birth chart.
- Rahu in the 1st house while ascendant Lord is in the trik bhava.
Pitra dosha calculator
To know the presence of Pitra dosha in a kundli instantly, one may make use of the Pitra dosha calculator which instantly calculates the planetary combinations required to form pitra dosha in someone’s birth chart. Just by giving simple birth details, one may know whether he/she is affected with Pitra dosha or not. However, astrological guidance to know the dosha’s exact results is required. It will help to understand whether this dosha or some other dosha is creating problems in life.
Effects of Pitra Dosha in the native’s life:
- Birth of no male child in the family
- In some extreme cases, there is no birth of child
- Frequent abortions of the wife
- Children show reluctance to marriage
- Facing lot of difficulties in marriage of family members
- Lack of enthusiasm and no career
- Lethargy and lack of interest in worldly activities
- Children face physical or mental disabilities
- Several deadly diseases in the family
- Financial problems or scarcity
- Clashes in family
- Huge debts
- Bad fame
- Unnatural deaths in the family
What causes Pitra Dosha?
- Treating others badly or torturing someone either directly or indirectly.
- Theft or robbery
- Keeping an eye on other people’s wealth
- Forcibly taking the wealth of others
- Deceit or treachery through deliberate means using unethical tricks.
- Accumulating wealth through immoral means
- Misuse of powers and status
- Trouble any living creature either physically or mentally.
- Giving fake information or statements
- Speaking ill of others
- Seeking happiness in other person’s miseries
Effective Remedies of Pitra Dosha
- Serve and feed Brahmins. One may also make required donations to them.
- Donate money and clothes to a purohit after performing Pitru Tarpan or shraadh.
- Arrange for the shraadh kriya of the ancestors on the prescribed dates by an astrologer or priest.
- The shraadh should be done with full devotion while paying homage to the ancestors.
- Offer water to the pitras constantly for 15 days during the shradh days if not than at least on the tithi of their death.
- Offer water to Banyan tree and lord Shiva regularly to mitigate the ill effects of the Pitra Dosha in the horoscope.
Simple remedies like irrigating Banyan Tree regularly, Feed Brahmins on Amavasya tithi and helping poor people, respecting elders, Worshipping Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu, especially in Sri Rama avatar etc. 100 % reduce the bad effects of the Pitra dosha in kundli.
The foremost remedy is to show soft and kind behavior towards nature and all living beings. This certainly helps to appease the ancestors and bring their blessings in life. Trees, plants, water and other parts of nature somewhere depict our ancestors. Respecting them is like giving respect to the forefathers. So, plant more trees and stop littering nature to get blessings of the ancestors. A benevolent behavior towards everyone we come across eradicates the ill effects of not just Pitra dosha but also other bad or malefic dosha in the kundli.