Vishakha Nakshatra is the 16th from 27 Nakshatras in Vedic Astrology.
What is Vishakha Nakshatra?
This Nakshatra can be broken into two words, which are Vi + Shakha, Vi is decision, different or distinct, Shakha means a branch or a fork. So, collective meaning is one-pointedness. A path that goes two ways but converges to a single path.
This Nakshatra is ruled by two deities Indra and Agni. They have two bodies, but they have two heads. They are the Devta-Dwanda. Indra is the colossal, dominant, and the one who cannot be defeated. Whereas Agni, is the Chief of the Asthavasu (eight elemental Gods).
Both Indra and Agni are the drinkers of Soma, the excelsior of life meant for God.
Characterstics of Vishakha Nakshatra Natives:
The natives of this Nakshatra live in a deceptive world. They have the indulging side of Indra that enjoys the materialistic life. And on the other side they have the influence of Agni, which is spiritual and is all about purification.
A Small Secret of Vishakha Nakshatra:
Vishakha Nakshatra is a mixture of Krittika Nakshatra(Agni) and Jyestha Nakshatra (Indra).
This Nakshatra is a Misra or a mixed Nakshatra like Krittika Nakshatra.
Traits and characterstics of Vishakha Nakshatra:
- Vishakha Nakshatra means one-pointedness or complete focus as it was in the case of Arjun while he was shooting in the eye of fish while looking at its image formed in the water.
- Attentive preparedness and readiness to attain the spiritual goal is the basic theme of the natives of this Nakshatra.
- This Nakshatra is the point where one starts to prepare for the spiritual journey.
- Vishakha Nakshatra is the arms of the Kaal Purush, the cosmic man.
- This is the only Nakshatra where a planet is both exalted and debilitated. The Saturn is exalted, which is discipline, and Moon is debilitated i.e., disorientated or the fickleness of mind.
- Sandhi period is crucial for Vishakha Nakshatra natives. If we closely monitor Saturn when it gets exalted, it is in debilitation in the Navamsha chart. Similarly, Moon, when it is debilitated in Vishakha Nakshatra in the Rashi chart, is in its sign in Navamsha. So, it is a point of transformation point. The energy of the planet is all set for transformation, and this is the quality of this Nakshatra.
- This Nakshatra is the start of the Pritiyana Nakshatra, and that continues till Bharani Nakshatra. Devyana Nakshatra starts from Krittika Nakshatra and runs till Swati Nakshatra. People of Devyana Nakshatra are the people who move in the direction of Sun and Pritiyana Nakshatra natives are those who move in the direction of Moon or on the path of taking rebirth.
- Second pada of this Nakshatra especially very challenging because firstly it is a Pushkara-Navamsha and Astha-Navamsha. Now, Astha- Navamsha could give lots and lots of trouble. This gives good transformation after lots of tribulations.
What is an Astha-Navamsha: If a planet has gone to the eighth house in Navamsha to its position in the Rashi chart is known as an Astha-Navamsha position. This gives terrible results for the planet concerned. (Those who are the students of astrology should prepare a chart of Astha-Navamsha).
The Other Name of Vishakha Nakshatra and Its Way of Working:
Vishakha Nakshatra has another name called as Radha. Radha means the delightful one, and she was the concert of Sri Krishna.
- If the natives of this Nakshatra are left are uncontrolled like wildfire, can run amok and cause massive destruction.
- Discontentment and vagueness in Vishakha Nakshatra natives can give way to infidelity.
- Strong sexual appetite because of Indra and Agni both have nature of non-fulfillment of promises.
Both Indra and Agni have a promiscuity nature. Indra wooed Ahilya, the wife of Gautama Rishi, whereas Agni wooed the wives of seven Saptrishi.
- Non-fulfillment of promises in personal relationships
- Failed relationships
- The early part of marriage may have ups and downs
- Delayed success but definite success
- The second half of life is better than the first half of life.
Deeper Secrets of Vishakha Nakshatra Natives:
The natives of this Nakshatra can achieve their basic goals by performing rituals. When many malefics are there in Vishakha Nakshatra, then a person has to do many austerities.
- Natives of this Nakshatra suffer from alienation and isolation. Indra, after every mistake he makes in his life, goes into deep austerity.
- When the Agni element becomes prominent in the natives of this Nakshatra then they try to become a perfectionist.
The other things the Vishakha Nakshatra native are :
- Shadow side of the natives of this Nakshatra is that they always want to be forceful. And further also want to be victorious.
- The paradox with this Nakshatra is that the achievement gateway keeps on shifting once the initial one is achieved.
- Vishakha Nakshatra has hawk vision. They can see what others can’t.
The Mythology Behind Vishakha Nakshatra:
Indra and the Vritirasura:
Lord Indra slew celestial architect Vishwakarma’s son Trishira. In a rage, Vishwakarma creates a great demon, Vritirasura. Vritrisura drank all of the water, including the seas of the earth. Lord Indra fights Vritirasura in a great battle, defeats him, and bring back the water on to the earth.
And because of this reason, Indra is associated with thunderbolts, clouds, and rains. So, the people of this Nakshatra tend to fight and win for a benevolent cause.
Second Mythology Behind Vishakha Nakshatra:
Indra and Sage Durvasa
Once sage Durvasa while traveling, the three worlds happen to visit the Indralok. Lord Indra was on his Airawat, the elephant, and was ready for departure for a battle. Sage Durvasa gifted the garland around his neck as a blessing to Indra. Indra, instead of putting it around his neck, keeps that garland on the forehead of Airawat. Airawat, unable to bear the intense smell coming out of the garland, pulls the garland down from his head to the ground below. As a result, Sage Durvasa gets annoyed and he curses the Indra.
The story does not end here. But a theme that emerges out of this story is that the natives of this Nakshatra sometimes try to disrespect their gurus. As a result, this can bring more troubles in their life.
Themes of Vishakha Nakshatra:
- Kingly power
- Ambition and courage
- Drive, and fortitude.
- Unrelenting focus
- Forceful and determined
- Competitive and goal orientated.
- Alcohol Brewers
- Liquor Business
- Lost battles but triumphant comebacks
- Ever youthful.
Some famous personalities born in Vishakha Nakshatra
It is worth to mention names of few people born in this Nakshatra. These people becames world famous personalities like Elizabeth Taylor, Sarojini Naidu ( Indian Political activist), Priyanka Gandhi ( Indian Politian and daughter of Indian PM Rajiv Gandhi), Katy Perry ( American Singer, song writer).
Activation of Vishakha Nakshatra as per Nadis
As per Nadis, Vishakha Nakshatra activated in a horoscope at specific years. The years described as under:
- First time this Nakshatra activates at 33rd year of age. And here generally bad events happen.
- Second time this Nakshtra activates at the age of 39th Year again. And it also simultaneously activates the fifth and the tenth house.
- At the 60th year of age, Vishakha Nakshatra activates and implements itself.
Also, read similar insights about other Nakshatras –