Horoscope once allotted at the time of birth is fixed, no one even the author / creator of it Lord Brahma can change it. Then a very relevant question is how do Vedic Astrology or astrologer help us. The simple answer is to take advantage of planetary transits. These different planetary transits give ample flexibility to manoeuvre our karmas to mend the results if not changed 100% as deciphered in the original birth chart. All the nine planets of Vedic Astrology are always moving, or by using a different word, we may say that all the planets are Transiting. This movement of planets is known as planetary transits and in the Hindi language as “Gochar.”
The Birth Chart of a person shows the sign wise position of the transiting planets at the time of birth. So the birth chart or the horoscope of a person sets up a broad map of the life of that person as each house of a birth chart relates to a certain area or aspect of life. All astrological indications in a birth chart are probabilities, some strong and some weak. Right from the birth planetary periods or Dashas operate one after the other. There are many Dasha systems, but as per Maharishi Prashra, the Vimshotry Dasha System is preferable.
How to Predict Results?
Vedic Astrology can be labelled as ‘Science and Art.’ Creating an accurate horoscope based upon the birth date of a native is the science part, whereas analyzing and predicting any results is the art. It is wisely called an art since many factors are to be collaborated in reaching the final conclusion.
All results, as indicated in a birth chart fructify during the Mahadasha and Antardasha of the relevant planets. The Mahadasha sets up a broad background, whereas the Antardashas of various planets during that Mahadasha further pinpoint the type and timing of results.
Role of Planetary Transits
The Mahadasha lasting over a longer time sets up a broad time frame in which the Antar Dasha narrow down the results and their timing. The transit of planets during the Dashas further narrows down the probability of expected results. The approximate time taken by each planet for transiting through a sign is given in the table below.
|The Transiting Planet||Approx. time it takes to transit through a sign|
|Rahu and Ketu||19 Months|
Some Important points regarding planetary transits
- Planetary transits are generally seen as per the Moon sign. For more in-depth analysis, these can also be seen as per the ascendant (Lagna)
- Transits of slow-moving planets viz. Saturn transits, Jupiter transits Rahu Transits and Ketu transits carry more importance
- The transiting Rahu/Ketu axis can indicate the areas of concern during their transit. Just, for example, this axis falling over 1st and 7th houses will require attention to general health, dealings, marriage and spouse, partnership business, etc.
- Transit of Jupiter is considered for the fructification of auspicious or favourable results. Jupiter transit happening over a house or even over its lord placed elsewhere tends to give favourable results pertaining to that house.
- Transit of Saturn over a house or its lord may not always be malefic, but it may tend to cause concern or delays in fructification of the relevant results
- Transit of Saturn and Rahu combined over a house, or its lord is believed to activate some Karmic work out of accumulated Karma. Now this can be good or bad depending upon the condition of these two planets in the actual birth chart of the native.
Saturn transit – Special effects
Transit of Saturn over certain houses with respect to the natal Moon is of more importance among all planetary transits. This is because Saturn is generally a malefic planet and stays the longest in a sign. This special transit falls under two categories as follows;
Shani ki Dhaiya
The two and a half year period of transit of Saturn over the 4th and 8th house as counted from the Moon sign is called its Dhaiya. It is wrong to assume that this transit of Saturn is always bad. The results can be good as well as bad as a lot depends upon the astrological conditions of an actual birth chart.
But in general, we can say that both these Dhiya’s should be considered as important because of aspects of Saturn on important houses. During the 4th house Dhaiya the Saturn aspects the 6th house of disease, enemies and difficulties, and 10th house of career and the ascendant. During the 8th house, Dhaiya also called the ‘Ashtam Shani’ the Saturn aspects the 10th house of career, the 2nd house of wealth and family, and the 5th house of education and children.
Shani ki Sade Sati
Transit of Saturn over the 12th, 1st and 2nd houses as counted from the Moon sign and lasting in total for 3X2.5 years=7.5 years are popularly known as Sade Sati of Saturn. The transit over these three houses is also called the three legs or parts of Sade Sati. Again it needs to clarify that the whole period of seven and a half years cannot be troublesome. The following table indicates which leg or part of the Sade Sati can be most unfavourable for each Moon sign.
|Moon Sign (Rashi)||Most Unfavourable Leg (part) of Sade Sati|
|Leo||1st and 2nd|
Same way read the main impacts or effects of various planetary transits.